How do you use the word abjure?
Abjure in a Sentence 🔉
- After the tyrant took over the country, the citizens had to abjure their political beliefs.
- In order to marry the peasant he loved, the prince made the decision to abjure his title.
- Because John ignored his parents’ plea to abjure a life of crime, he ended up in prison by making bad choices.
How do you use August in a sentence?
August in a Sentence 🔉
- Everyone wanted the chance to dine with the august president.
- When Maggie learned the party was at the august nightclub, she was excited by the thought of meeting some of her favorite celebrities.
- The critics raved about the august ballerina’s performance.
How do you use abortive in a sentence?
Abortive in a Sentence 🔉
- When the rebels’ plan to take over the castle proved abortive, they were caught and executed.
- The surgery was abortive and did not repair the damage to the man’s heart.
- Because of the stormy weather, the explorer’s trip to Antarctica was abortive.
What does Abnegate mean in English?
transitive verb. 1 formal : deny, renounce abnegated their God. 2 formal : surrender, relinquish abnegated her powers.
What is the word abjure mean?
transitive verb. 1 formal. a : to renounce upon oath He abjured his allegiance to his former country. b : to reject solemnly She abjured her old beliefs.
What is an abrasive person?
An abrasive person is someone with harsh, cold, and direct behavior. This behavior pattern reflects in how the individual interacts with people around him/her. People with abrasive personalities are mostly termed unfriendly, egoistic, harsh, and aggressive. Generally, there are two types of abrasive personality.
What is august presence?
1 dignified or imposing. an august presence. 2 of noble birth or high rank.
What is an august person?
(ɔgʌst ) adjective [usu ADJ n] Someone or something that is august is dignified and impressive.
What is an example of abortive?
Abortive is defined as something that did not develop properly. An example of abortive is the rudimentary wings on birds that cannot fly. The definition of abortive is something that was unsuccessful. An example of abortive would be a political campaign that was stopped before the election.
What does mean abortive?
1 obsolete : prematurely born. 2 : fruitless, unsuccessful. 3 : imperfectly formed or developed.
How to use “abjured” in a sentence?
Was she to abjure her religion?
What part of speech is abjure?
part of speech: transitive verb. inflections: abjures, abjuring, abjured. definition: to repudiate or renounce solemnly, as under oath; forswear. She was forced to abjure her Catholic beliefs and accept Protestantism. synonyms: disavow, forswear, recant, renounce, repudiate, retract.
What is the noun for abjure?
1. to repudiate or retract , esp. with formal solemnity; recant. 2. to renounce or give up under oath; forswear: to abjure allegiance to a country. 3. to refrain from; avoid.